The purpose of these regulations is to prescribe detailed matters concerning the organization, functions, and operation of the College Senate (hereinafter “Senate”) under Article 31 (2) and Article 31 (8) of the Bylaws of the Association.
The Senate shall deliberate on the following cases. However, in the case of 3 and 5 below, its function shall be limited to advising on the following matters:
- Matters concerning the plans for the development of the college
- Matters concerning the establishment and modification of the statutes of the college
- Matters concerning the establishment and modification of the College Charter
- Matters concerning the operation of the college’s curriculum
- Matters concerning the budget and accounts of the college
- Matters concerning recommendations of the members of the commission of recommendation
- Matters deemed important for the education provided by the college and requested to be deliberated upon by the President of the College.
- The Senate shall be composed of twelve (12) membersappointed by the President of the College. The number of Senators in each group shall be as follows: [Amended on Feb. 28, 2018 and Jan. 4, 2019.]
- Five (5) retired faculty members;
- Three (3) staff members (including departmental administrative personnel);
- One (1) student (on the register);
- One (1) alumni (graduates)
- One (1) member of the local personnel;
- One (1) person to assist in the development of the college.
- As for faculty/staff Senators, they shall lose their status as a Senator in the event of any of the following changes in their status during their term of office. [Amended on Feb. 28, 2018 and Jan. 4, 2019.]
- Upon a leave of absence or retirement;
- When removed from office as a result of disciplinary action;
- Upon departure for overseas training and research activities for more than 3 months.
- As for student Senators, they shall lose their status as a member of the Senate in the event of any of the following changes in their status during their term of office.
- Upon a leave of absence or graduation;
- When subject to a disciplinary disposition according to the college regulations;
- When sent as an exchange program student for more than 3 months.
- A Senator shall be appointed to represent the faculty members pursuant to the participation of the faculty member(s) in his or her recommendation and election. [Amended on Feb. 28, 2018.]
- A Senator shall be appointed to represent the staff members pursuant to recommendation and election by the staff group. [Amended on Feb. 28, 2018 and Jan. 4, 2019.]
- A Senator shall be appointed to represent the student members pursuant to recommendation by the Student Body.
- A Senator shall be appointed to represent the alumni by the President of the college pursuant to recommendation by the Alumni Association.
- Local personnel who have the competences required to assist with the development of the college shall be appointed from among the external personnel by the President of the college.
- The Senate shall have one Chairperson and one Vice Chairperson as its executive members, and each shall have their own secretary.
- The Chairperson and the Vice Chairperson shall be elected from among the Senators, but their term shall be the same as that of the members of the Senate.
- The Chairperson shall represent the Senate, preside over the Senate meetings, and be in charge of the Senate’s affairs.
- The Vice Chairperson shall assist the Chairperson and serve as acting Chairperson in the event of the Chairperson’s absence.
- The Secretary shall be appointed by the Chairperson from among the Senators, and shall carry out the preparation and preservation of the meeting minutes and other records and related works. [Amended on Feb. 28, 2018.]
- A Senator’s term of office shall be two years, and he/she may be reelected. However, a student Senator’s term of office shall be one year. [Amended on Feb. 28, 2018.]
- The term of office of a Senator elected to fill a vacancy shall be the remaining period of office of the predecessor.
- In the event of a vacancy of a Senator during his/her term of office, the person who has the right of recommendation in the relevant group shall report the vacancy to the President of the College within 7 days, and shall recommend a new Senator within 15 days of submitting the report.
- The sessions of the Senate are classified into regular session and the extraordinary session. The regular session shall be convened once per year (January).
- The extraordinary sessions of the Senate shall be convened by the Chairperson in the event of the following cases:
- Upon the request of the President of the College;
- When the Chairperson is agreed on its necessity
- Upon the request of at least one third of the total members of the Senate.
- The Senate’s session shall not be convened unless more than two thirds of the registered members are present.
- The proceedings of the Senate shall be deliberated and decided upon with the agreement of a majority of the attending members, except in cases specially stipulated in the Bylaws of the Association; provided, however, that in the event of a tie the decision shall be made by the Chairperson.
- The consultation deliberated by the Senate shall be immediately reported in writing to the President of the College.
- Minutes shall be taken to record the results of all meetings, and they shall be signed by the Senators.
The Senate may form a subcommittee when deemed necessary by the Chairperson by passing a resolution for such at a Senate meeting.
- When deemed necessary, the Chairperson may ask the relevant faculty member to attend the Senate’s meeting, or to submit written data as required.
- When requested under the foregoing Paragraph ⓛ, the relevant faculty member shall comply with the request unless there is a special reason for not doing so.
The Senators and the related faculty member shall not disclose any confidential secrets or other matters knowledge of which they acquire through the Senate.
The President of the College may support the budget of the Senate to ensure the efficient operation thereof.
The department responsible for coordinating and handling the Senate’s affairs shall be the Planning Department of the College Headquarters. [Amended on Feb. 28, 2018.]
- Any candidate for the post of open director shall be recommended by a Senator.
- When recommending a candidate, the Senator concerned shall clearly present in writing the candidate’s important personal information, including the candidate’s educational background, current positionand career, as well as the reason for the recommendation. The documents required for such recommendation shall be decided by the Senate’s resolution.
- When necessary, the Senate may ask the candidate to attend the meeting and submit the necessary documents.
A candidate for the post of open director shall be a person for whom there are no grounds for disqualification according to Article 20 (2) of the Bylaws of the Association, and Article 22 of the Private School Act.
The Chairperson and the Vice Chairperson shall be ex officio members of the recommendation committee for the open director according to Article 20 (4) of the Bylaws of the Association.
The recommendation for a candidate for the post of open auditor and the relevant matters shall conform to the rules of Article 15 and/or Article 18.
The revision of these regulations shall be decided with the attendance of at least two thirds of the registered members of the Senate and the agreement of a majority of the attending members, and shall be approved by the President of the College.
The Senate may decide upon matters required for the operation of the Senate under the internal rules provided that any such decision falls within the scope prescribed by the regulations.
Any matters not specified in these regulations shall conform to the Private School Act and the Bylaws of the Association.
- (Date of Enforcement) These regulations shall enter into force on January 1, 2007.
- (Date of Enforcement) These regulations shall enter into force on November 30, 2007.
- (Date of Enforcement) These regulations shall enter into force on February 28, 2018.
- (Date of Enforcement) These regulations shall enter into force on January 4, 2019.